There is likely not a workplace around that, at some point in time, hasn’t had to put a team together to solve an issue, create a new process or manage a challenging project. But, how does a team leader ensure the team doesn’t succumb to the dreaded “group think?”
• Diversify yourselves. Be open to other insight, feedback and ideas.
• Think for yourself. Critical thinking from all members ensures everyone’s opinions are heard.
• Play devil’s advocate. Look at all sides of the issue, especially if it is different than yours.
• Get an outsider’s perspective. Incorporate external viewpoints into the discussion before making your final decision.
– Abbie S. Fink, HMA Public Relations