The recycling industry is experiencing high levels of contamination as end-users of recyclables are adopting new standards.
• Recycle empty plastic bottles, cans, paper and cardboard.
• Keep foods and liquids out of recycling.
• Keep plastic bags out of recycling.
• Bag your recyclables – plastic bags and film tangle the machinery.
• Include food-soiled items – they can turn recycling into trash.
• Add sharp or dangerous materials like needles and electronics – they can injure recycling workers.
• Toss in “tanglers” like rubber hoses and wires – they can shut down an entire recycling center.
• Include bulky items like propane tanks or construction debris.
– Scott Hanson, HMA Public Relations