Flood damage is so catastrophic for a car’s health – causing rot, frying electronics, etc. – that most insurance providers instantly total them. And yet, shady resellers will buy them cheap, dry them out, and dump them onto unsuspecting buyers.
Now, with 10,000+ Hurricane Ian vehicles being trucked to other markets, how do you spot – and avoid – a waterlogged nightmare?
• Check for smells, grit, grime, or rust all over
• Check for new or mismatched screws
• Get a pre-purchase inspection within the return window
• Use Experian AutoCheck for a free VIN report
In the end, follow your gut. If something feels off, run.
– Chris Butsch, Contributor