Back-to-school blues reached record heights in mid-September 1920, when a shortage of dormitory space forced University of Arizona students to the streets of Tucson in search of a place to sleep.
Co-eds canvassed the city, moving from house to house, in search of room and board. Their call was answered the following fall when Maricopa Hall flung its doors open to students.
Today, the three-story dorm (complete with spacious entryway and sitting rooms reminiscent of a bygone era) remains the “Crown Jewel” of housing for women at UA.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
– Hannah Van Sickle, The Arizona 100