Feb. 14 is Arizona Statehood Day.
The Grand Canyon State was originally part of New Mexico and was the last of the 48 conterminous United States to be admitted to the union. Here are a few more facts as we celebrate our 109th year:
• Arizona has 22 national parks and monuments and 35 state parks and natural areas.
• Arizona’s Sonoran Desert is the only place where the iconic saguaro cactus grows.
• The 800-mile Arizona Trail is perfect for hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and cross-country skiing.
• Two of the top-rated US waterfalls are located here: Grand Falls and Havasu Falls.
– Abbie S. Fink, HMA Public Relations